For each of the statements below, check whether you think they are true or false.  To obtain the answers, contact John Hamel, Ph.D., LCSW at:  johnmhamel@comcast.net

1. 95% of domestic violence, also known as intimate partner abuse, is perpetrated by a man upon his female partner.  The other 5% is divided between female-on-male and same-sex assaults.
T
F
2. The most reliable, up-to-date statistics tell us that women are seven times more likely than men to suffer a physical injury in a domestic violence encounter.
T
F
3. Older children who witness domestic violence are more impacted, in terms of internalizing and externalizing symptoms, than younger children.
T
F
4. According to most surveys, male and female domestic violence victims are physically injured at about the same rate.
T
F
5. Women who physically assault their intimate partners sometimes strike first,but usually are acting in self-defense.
T
F
6. Most physical child abuse is perpetrated by fathers, who typically are also battering the mother.
T
F
7. Female-perpetrated violence is more often than not “expressive” (reactive and the result of escalating conflict); whereas male-perpetrated violence is usually “instrumental” (used to gain power and control over the partner.)
T
F
8. Although physical abuse is predominantly perpetrated by men, women engage in verbal and most other forms of emotional abuse three times as often as men.
T
F
9. The latest statistics indicate that women make up approximately 35% of all spousal abuse arrests in California.
T
F
10. Studies using a random-assignment-to-conditions design indicate that the same-sex group format is safer and more effective than couples groups.
T
F
11. In the average relationship, intimate partner violence increases over time.
T
F
12. There is a correlation between perpetration of intimate partner violence and child abuse, but only for men.
T
F